East London is located on the south-eastern coast of South Africa, about 1,000km east of Cape Town. The city is home to 400,000 people (the wider metropolitan area has a population of 1.4m) making East London the second largest city in the province of the Eastern Cape.
With its pleasant climate, pristine beaches, surf destinations, and access to world-class game reserves, East London has one of the fastest growing tourism sectors in South Africa.
East London is home to South Africa’s only river port and boasts a diverse economic base, with motor vehicle manufacturing, industrial and agricultural activity.
Under the leadership of Pastor Dave & Bev Gernetzky, City Life Church has grown from a few dozen people meeting in a small facility, to a church of around 1000 people meeting in debt-free, multi-level auditorium with seating capacity for more than 1,200 people. The congregation is racially mixed and draws people from across the wider region.
The challenges within South Africa are often and widely publicised. But we believe the potential far outweighs the problems. Jesus has a great plan for South Africa and we have incredible opportunities before us, including:
- A starting base of 1,000+ people and a large facility, providing an amazing platform from which to launch our first overseas campus.
- Proximity to university students. Fort Hare University hosts more than 5,000 students and is located less than two kilometres from the Calvary East London campus.
- Strategic community connections through Red Frogs ministry. After Australia, Red Frogs’ second largest nation of influence is South Africa.
- A debt-free facility able to facilitate multiple Sunday services, located just minutes from schools, residential suburbs and main transport routes.
- A training strategy to prepare future leaders to spearhead Calvary campuses across South Africa. Calvary Leadership College will launch in February 2018, preparing men and women to be the next generation of church and civic leaders.
- A proven method of multi-campus church and video-link technology, enabling us to have one church in many locations, even on the other side
of the planet.
- A pool of willing young adults in Australia who are eager to experience cross-cultural missions work. Through Internship and Mission Trip opportunities, team from Calvary Australia can train locals in East London, while also having the adventure of a lifetime!